I’ve felt the need for a warming cabinet a few times in the last year or so. A late batch of cider failed to get started in the cold weather, and a warming cabinet, or warming pad, would have stopped the cider from ‘hanging’ and eventually being spoilt. Last Autumn I wanted to experiment with making biofertilisers, but many of them need some warmth to ferment properly. Again, a warming cabinet would have allowed me to experiment with the biofertilser. Finally, I have just bought some mushroom spawn, to grow edible mushrooms. They too need some warmth, so I finally got a grip of myself, and made one.
A quick disclaimer here. I didn’t bother looking to see how other people have made their own warming cabinets, I just knocked this one up. Please don’t copy this unless you can’t find anything better.
The catalyst for this post was the understanding of how much has changed this year. I’m moving away from no dig gardening, to digging, and double digging, once in a complete rotation. I am concentrating much more on ‘staple’ foods, and less on interesting, or unusual vegetables, and despite being passionate about trees, and Forest Gardening, I recently found myself wondering if perhaps I should have left a bit more room for growing grains.
This post has been a little while in the making, and is a result of a telephone conversation with a friend of mine. She had been worried that despite working long hours, she never seemed to get everything done, or even achieve very much. Initially I was going to list all of the things that I didn’t get done this year, but the list was so long that I would never have finished the post. Instead, I’m going to go through some of the stuff that I did around the smallholding today, and then the stuff that didn’t get done.
If you have read my recent posts, you could be forgiven for thinking that all I’m doing at the moment is catching swarms. I did think that if ever I wrote an autobiography, this chapter would be entitled ‘Summers in a bee suit’, but I’m trying hard to keep up with all of the other chores that need doing. With no swarms for two days, and after a concerted effort to get ahead of the bees in terms of hive and frame assembly, I have actually managed to spend some time repotting, potting on, planting out, and thinking about the future.
My Blog title, The Sustainable Smallholding, is an aspiration, as opposed to a description of where we are at the moment. The reasons for that are many, and complex, but one of the key ones is the sheer amount of knowledge that you need to acquire, and solutions that you have to find, to achieve sustainability, self reliance, or self sufficiency. It seems that each time that you peel back a layer of a problem, another sits nestled within. In this post I will explore some of the areas that I have identified as important in my search for sustainability.