I’ve not posted for a while. Part of the reason is that I did a skep making course last weekend, to make it easier to catch bee swarms. Since then I have been catching up with my planting out, and thinking through a new system for growing some of my food, which mixes small scale wheat growing, polycultures, hugelkultur, and possibly bamboo.
Back to the skep making.
I met up with my mate Alex, and we camped for two days, which gave us time to catch up.
The course was fine, just five of us, and I learnt what I needed to, and finished my skep, driving home Sunday evening. The following afternoon I found one of the biggest swarms of the year so far, at the apiary on the farm. When I finally got them all inside, there wasn’t any spare space. They’re now safely installed in a Warre hive, and completely fill the top box. An awesome sight.
It was thinking about growing rye and wheat, using the bon fils method that led me to compare it, with the three sisters guild/polyculture, and there is quite an overlap. I’ll post more details as my test beds mature.
All of the best