I’m having a very uncomfortable evening, at least mentally uncomfortable, thinking about my bees. The problem is wasps, as has been the case, at this time of year, for the last three years. Part of the problem is the fact that my property has become a great habitat for wasps. Lots of trees, banks, fruit, vegetation, and masses of insects. Allowing lots of nests to thrive through to Summer, at which point they start to try to get into the hives.
I’ve not posted for a while. Part of the reason is that I did a skep making course last weekend, to make it easier to catch bee swarms. Since then I have been catching up with my planting out, and thinking through a new system for growing some of my food, which mixes small scale wheat growing, polycultures, hugelkultur, and possibly bamboo.
Another hectic day makes me think back to April and thinking that I was getting ahead. Foolish. Again it was bees that took up most of my time. I also saw two queens within what acted like a single swarm, rather than two swarms. This is how the day went.
Although I have stacks that I want to post about, once again, today it’s bees, and swarms again, and I’ve spent the whole day, in a bee suit, in the sun, and I feel like I’ve got a hangover before I sink the first glass of red.
Today was not all successful, and I wanted to make sure that I record my failures as well as my successes, so here goes…
With the main rush of swarming now over, and only one colony overdue for it’s turn, it’s time to turn my attention to the second part of the process, which is to re-distribute those colonies. Again, this is working with the bees, in that they want to spread away from the parent colonies, and have been prevented from doing so by me putting them into hives in my field.
If you’re looking for a bee colony then read on.