Those of you reading this who know me are probably thinking that I’ve finally lost the plot, but actually, all is not what it seems. This is all part of my Forest Garden preparation, which I wrote about in an earlier post. If you want to read the post, click on the link below.
For the second post in this sequence, I wanted to write about how I’m planning to prepare the site of my new Forest Garden, and then establish the trees after planting. There is some really good advice available, particularly Martin Crawford’s book, Creating a Forest Garden, and Edible Forest Gardens (vol. 2), by Jacke and Toensmeier. However, as I’m planning to do something completely different, I thought that it might be interesting to write about it.
It’s been a busy fortnight here at the Sustainable Smallholding, but really enjoyable. In addition to my routine chores, I’ve been getting ready to start the planting of my Forest garden/Food Forest. I’ve got lots to write, and lots of pictures of what I’ve done so far, but a quick warning first. This isn’t a “how to” article, more of a “how I’m doing it” article. As I’m planning to do it in my own way, and not exactly the way that some of the books suggest, it may not be in your best interests to copy my ideas, until we see whether they work as well as I hope that they do.
(I started this yesterday, and my copy of Edible Forest Gardens Vol. 2 arrived this morning, so I’m being very disciplined continuing the post, as opposed to being sucked straight into reading it)
Another five weeks have elapsed since my last post, but with the days shortening, I once again find myself with time to share with you. Things are still busy, with the end of the beekeeping and vegetable growing season, and the start of the tree planting and wood harvesting season overlapping. Before I start posting on what I’m up to now, I thought that I would post a quick round up of what I’ve been busy with over the past few weeks.
It’s been hectic here, but then it always is at this time of year. I’ve now housed six swarms from three of our hives. Five have gone into Warre hives, and one went into a National, as I had no more Warre floors, or roofs available. I have two more hives that are yet to swarm, as they have built up poorly. One is definitely queen right, as I opened up the hive to check, and saw her. I need to check the other. I no longer open the hives, unless it’s vital, but the last hive does not seem right, and I don’t have an alternative.
I’ve got some pictures of one of the swarms going into a Warre hive, well NOT going into a Warre hive actually, although more of that later, and also pictures of bees in a Warre hive, taken through an observation window.